Friday, September 14, 2012

Vegetarian Year, if not a Healthy One

To inaugurate my Vegetarian Adventure, and celebrate my birthday, I am hosting a vegetarian meal.  The menu:

  • Carrot  cake made with white sugar and white flour and simply massive quantities of cream cheese frosting, made with butter and full-fat cream cheese.
  • Lasagne with of cheese. LOTS of cheese.  Also full fat.  With a few veggies tossed in for charm.
The carrot cake is listed before the lasagne because the carrot cake, or to be precise, the cream cheese frosting on the carrot cake, is the reason I am doing a dairy meal. In fact I believe it is fair to say that it is the reason I am doing a meal at all.  I wanted carrot cake with cream cheese frosting for my birthday. The most practical way to get it is to have a meal and have it for dessert. I suppose I could just have just baked the cake and eaten it all by myself, or even just made a bowl of frosting and eaten that, but I believe that this would be a bit too much of a good thing.

I haven't received my copy yet--though Amazon assures me it is en route--but somehow, I doubt that either of the two aforementioned dishes are going to appear in  American Wholefoods Cuisine. I could be wrong, of course. But given that the book is described as "spreading the gospel of meatless living and whole grains" and as featuring "high-fiber, low-fat, low-sugar, and low-salt vegetarian recipes" I  kind of doubt it.  Which means I had better enjoy this meal because sooner or later my Vegetarian Adventure Bible shall arrive and I will officially Know Better.

As for tonight, blissful ignorance. 

4 comments:

Robin said...

I've never baked anything from the cookbook..not much of a baker, but the carrot cake here has a cup of honey and two cups of whole wheat flour.

The big problematic ingredient in this cookbook is dry milk powder..just hard to find here.

Gila said...

My recipe had a cup of white sugar and two cups of white flour.

I bet your recipe doesn't have the cream cheese frosting either.

I'm thinking that, for baking, shall stick with the fun stuff. As long as I'm okay on a day-to-day basis, I don't mind if my treats are bad for me.

e.e. said...

I'm a long-term vegetarian. Welcome to our ranks.
Good luck with your cooking and baking and most importantly - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Estelle

aliyah06 said...

I'm tempted....I want to see how your vegetarian year goes, with regular updates,before I offend my entire carnivorous household and eschew meat....